City of High Point Geographic Information Services (GIServices) is a division of the Information Technology Services (ITS) Department. The GIS team consists of the GIServices core group of professionals within ITS as well as personnel in other departments. GIServices is responsible for the development and administration of the City’s baseline digital spatial databases and for providing state-of-the-art mapping and data services to City departments, citizens, local governments, and businesses. The Geographic Information Services Division will provide to the user departments a geographic information technology network that will facilitate the user to leverage this technology to more effectively and efficiently conduct their work and interaction with the public. As the central administrative GIS agency for the City of High Point, the GIS division has several fundamental goals.
- Provide the technological leadership and vision that will ultimately result in a well informed and enriched community.
- Administration of a central enterprise GIS database.
- Coordinate all GIS activities and data as it is related to the enterprise database concerning the City and to ensure that geographic information related services are delivered effectively and in a timely manner.
- Development of data structures, standards, and guidelines for City of High Point GIS users.
- Development of a comprehensive data catalog and clearinghouse.
- Protection of sensitive and/or proprietary information.
- Provide a means for public education and access of geospatial data and applications.
- Enable managers and citizens to make decisions impacting the future of the City in an informed and logical manner through the development and implementation of web-based applications.
- Work with governmental and private sector entities as a regional coordinator of GIS data sharing and compatibility, resulting in the facilitation of the City’s involvement in economic development, environmental conservation, public safety, land use, and infrastructure initiatives.