University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG)
· Offers a certificate in Geographic Information Science as well as M.A. and Ph.D. degrees specializing in GIS.
· This certificate provides professionals with the skills needed to utilize spatial analytic tools, geographic data visualization techniques, spatial programming, and geographic information and image processing software. It emphasizes the application of GIScience in urban and regional planning, economic development, environmental assessment, cartography, remote sensing, and spatial software development.
Central Piedmont Community College
· Offers The Associate in Applied Science Degree - Geographic Information Systems/Global Positioning Systems Technology.
· The Geographic Information Systems/Global Positioning Systems Technology curriculum provides a broad background in Geographic Information System (GIS) and Global Positioning System (GPS) technologies with practical applications in municipal, industrial, natural resources management, and other fields. Course work consists of class and hands-on experience with GIS/GPS technologies, including running and modifying current GIS software, creating and manipulating GIS databases, and operating GPS technology. Graduates should find employment as field technicians or as database and mapping assistants.
Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI)
· Offers a variety of courses designed to facilitate a working knowledge of the ArcGIS suite of software products.
· These courses are available as web-based or instructor-led sessions. They are available to be taken at the Charlotte offices or at the student’s and/or business’ training facility.