Grant and Funding Resources from the Foundation Center
The High Point Public Library is a member of the Foundation Center's nationwide Funding Information Network. The Foundation Center is a nonprofit organization which was established in 1956, and whose mission is to strengthen the social sector by advancing knowledge about philanthropy in both in the United States and around the world. As a Funding Information Network partner-institution, the library offers the public free access to the Foundation Center's databases, which provide information on grants, grant-making institutions, and philanthropic activity.
Foundation Directory Online
Provides detailed profiles of over 140,000 grant-making philanthropic organizations, records of over 6 million recently-issued grants, and keyword-searchable scanned IRS 990 and 990-PF forms. Intended primarily for 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations.
Foundation Grants to Individuals Online
Provides detailed profiles of 10,000 grant-makers known to fund individual grant-seekers, such as students, artists, and independent researchers.
An online tool for visualizing the flow of philanthropic giving, from grant-makers to recipient nonprofit organizations, in map form.
Unlike most of the Library's other online information resources, access to the Foundation Center's databases is available only within the library building itself, either in the Public Computing Center or wirelessly, via WiFi. Everyone, however, is welcome to use these databases, and possession of a card issued by the High Point Public Library is not required. Contact the Research Services desk on the Library's second floor (or call 336-883-3641) for any questions regarding database access.
Forming a Nonprofit
- NC Secretary of State: Corporations Division - This site includes information, guidelines and forms on nonprofit corporations, and the corporation name search database. Call 919-733-4201.
- IRS Charities and Nonprofits - Includes rules, policies, procedures, instructions, and guidelines.
- North Carolina Nonprofit Corporation Act - Chapter 55A of the North Carolina General Statutes.
- - Record the name of your organization and file an Assumed Name Certificate with the Guilford County Register of Deeds. Call 336-373-7556.
- NC Secretary of State: Business License Information Office - Check if your corporation needs a license to operate.
- NC Department of Revenue - To obtain tax exempt status with the State of North Carolina. Call 336-334-5656 in Greensboro or 919-733-3991.
- NC Small Business and Technology Development Center - Free counseling and assistance in writing a business plan and financing your business. Call 336-334-7005 or 800-NC-SBTDC
- - Provides counseling services, referrals, courses and seminars relating to starting and operating a small business.
- SCORE: Service Core of Retired Executives - Free counseling on starting a business. Individual consultations. Contact them at 800-634-0245.