High Point Human Relations Commission

The HRC can provide non-financial assistance, advise you of your rights and whether they have been violated and mediate complaints of unfair treatment and discrimination in housing. HRC suggests you first call the High Point Human Relations office to assist you in verifying whether your complaint is valid, and if necessary, provide you a referral to counseling and mediation services.

HRC is always willing to refer you to another agency for a second opinion should you disagree with its findings. High Point Human Relations Commission 211 South Hamilton Street Room 207 P. O. Box 230 High Point, North Carolina (336) 883-3124.

Legal Aid

Legal Aid lawyers provide legal assistance to persons qualifying for their services and may represent you in housing matters. To qualify you have to have a low income.

Central Carolina Legal Services, Inc. 107 North Murrow Blvd - P.O. Box 3467 Greensboro, North Carolina 27402-3467 (336) 272-0148 (Greensboro) (336) 885-9181 (High Point) 1-800-722-1640 (Toll Free) FAX: (336) 333-9825.

North Carolina Human Relations Commission

North Carolina law now prohibits discrimination in most housing on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, handicap and familial status. Complaints of discrimination must be filed within 180 days of the incident or act.

You can file a complaint of discrimination by contacting the N.C. Human Relations Commission. By Telephone -(336) 733-7996 By mail - 116 West Jones Street, Raleigh, North Carolina 27611 or In person - 121 West Jones Street, Raleigh, North Carolina

U.S. Dept. of Housing & Urban Development (HUD)

You can also file complaints of discrimination with the HUD Area Office in Greensboro. Most public housing programs are federally funded. Several of these are administered directly by the HUD Area Office which has information on housing programs which it will provide upon request.

U.S. Dept of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) Greensboro Area Office 415 North Edgeworth Street Greensboro, North Carolina 27401 (336)333-5361 or 333-5255 TDD 333-5518