Book Club Kits
We now have 13 book club kits in our collection! Book club kits are designed to give you everything you need to run a book club. Each kit has 10 books and supplemental material including a folder to facilitate the discussion. Certain kits may also include the movie adaptation of the book for your club’s viewing enjoyment. Each kit may be checked out for 6 weeks. Customers are welcome to get the next kit ahead of their meeting for seamless distribution.
Our kits are:
- Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline (includes PBS documentary)—890L Lexile Measure Orphan Train is a powerful novel of upheaval and resilience, of unexpected friendship, and the secrets we carry that keep us from finding out who we are.
- A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler
Brimming with the luminous insight, humor, and compassion that are Anne Tyler’s hallmarks, this novel takes us across three generations of the Whitshanks, their shared stories and long-held secrets, all the unguarded and richly lived moments that combine to define who and what they are as a family.
- The Round House by Louise Erdrich—790 Lexile Measure
When his mother, a tribal enrollment specialist living on a reserve in North Dakota, slips into an abyss of depression after being brutally attacked, 14-year-old Joe Coutz sets out with his three friends to find the person that destroyed his family.
- Where’d You Go Bernadette? by Maria Semple—HL820L Lexile Measure
To her Microsoft-guru husband, Bernadette is a fearlessly opinionated partner; to fellow private-school mothers in Seattle, she’s a disgrace; to design mavens, she’s a revolutionary architect; and to 15-year-old Bee, she’s a best friend and simply, Mom. Bee has aced her report card and claimed her reward: a family trip to Antarctica. For Bernadette, who has become increasingly agoraphobic, such a trip is problematic. Then Bernadette disappears.
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (this kit has 8 books)—950L Lexile Measure
Waging a fierce competition for which they have trained since childhood, circus magicians Celia and Marco unexpectedly fall in love with each other and share a fantastical romance that manifests in fateful ways.
- Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng—870L Lexile Measure
Everything I Never Told You is both a gripping page-turner and a sensitive family portrait, exploring the divisions between cultures and the rifts within a family, and uncovering the ways in which mothers and daughter, fathers and sons, and husbands and wives struggle, all their lives, to understand one another.
- Still Alice by Lisa Genova (one kit includes 8 books; another includes 10 + the DVD)—860L Lexile Measure
Alice Howland, happily married with three grown children and a house on the Cape, is a celebrated Harvard professor at the height of her career when she notices a forgetfulness creeping into her life. As confusion starts to cloud her thinking and her memory begins to fail her, she receives a devastating diagnosis: early onset Alzheimer’s disease.
- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (+ DVD)—800L Lexile Measure
Nine-year-old Oskar Schell is a precocious Francophile who idolizes Stephen Hawking and plays the tambourine extremely well. He’s also a boy struggling to come to terms with his father’s death in the World Trade Center attacks. As he searches New York City for the lock that fits a mysterious key he left behind, Oskar discovers much more than he could have imagined.
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (+ DVD)—810L Lexile Measure
In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, 16-year-old Katniss’s skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister’s place.
- The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman (+ DVD)—850-875L Lexile Range
A novel set on a remote Australian island, where a childless couple live quietly running a lighthouse, until a boat carrying a baby washes ashore.
- Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly
Inspired by the life of a real World War II heroine, this novel reveals an incredible story of love, redemption, and terrible secrets that were hidden for decades.
- The Whole Town’s Talking by Fannie Flagg
Elmwood Springs, Missouri, is a small town like any other, but something strange is happening out at the cemetery. “Still Meadows,” as it’s called, is anything but still. Fannie Flagg tells a surprising story of life, afterlife, and the mysterious goings-on of ordinary people in a town.
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr—880L Lexile Measure
A New York Times bestseller about a blind French girl and a German boy whose paths collide in occupied France as both try to survive the devastation of World War II. Doerr illuminates the ways, against all odds, people try to be good to one another.
Call Readers’ Services at 336.883.3638 to find out more information about these kits!