Cans for Change
Cans for Change is a school fundraiser that has a focus on teaching the importance of recycling while helping schools monetarily. It also serves with a mission to foster a culture of recycling in the community.
Cans for Change Overview
Cans for Change can be run in any High Point school at any time for any length.
Some schools use the program helps instill environmental stewardship in participating students, the funds from the program are helpful in financing field trips and the students find it fun!
To Register or Schedule a Pick Up:
Please contact Laura McCoy at Laura.McCoy@highpointnc.gov or 336-388-9316
To Drop off Cans:
- Please make sure that your school is already registered for the program!
- Make sure that all cans are bagged and each bag is clearly labeled with your school name
- Take them to the High Point Material Recovery Facility at 5875 Riverdale Dr. Jamestown 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday
- Please send an e-mail to Laura.McCoy@highpointnc.gov or a text to 336-688-9316 so that we know to look for them and can record your weight immediately.
- Please make sure to talk to someone at the facility so that they know that they are Kids, Cans & Cash cans (the office is on the far side of the building closest to the road.)
Forms and Documents
- If you would prefer to register by fax or E-mail please click here: Kids Cans & Cash Paper Registration
- For tips on how to have a successful Kids, Cans and Cash campaign at your school please click here:Tips and Tricks for Kids, Cans and Cash
For questions, concerns or to schedule a pick-up not using the form please contact:
Lorelei Elkins- Guilford Planning & Development Department
Laura McCoy- High Point Recycling Program Coordinator
- All you have to do is have your school collect ALUMINUM BEVERAGE CANS (and aluminum beverage bottles).
- Any elementary school in High Point is free to participate.
- Every school that participates will get the money that they earn for their cans.
- Can prices are determined at a flat rate per pound.
- Cans can be dropped off at the High Point Material Recovery Facility at 5875 Riverdale Dr. M-Th 7:30-4:30. Anyone may drop off cans for the school or in a schools name.
- Cans can also be scheduled for pickup by filling out the form below or contacting the administrators of the program (contact info below)
- Please schedule no more than one pickup a month
- Please bag in clear bags and label your bags of cans
Tips and Tricks for a Successful Fundraiser
- Create Excitement!
- Put up posters
- Make morning announcements about it
- Send home flyers with students
- Enlist Volunteers
- Ask student council or clubs to take part
- Talk to your PTA about helping out
- Ask local fire departments and civic groups to collect
- Ask parents to collect at their work place
- Make Collection Easy
- Have a centralized dropoff in your school
- Place drop boxes near carpool to make it easy
What to DO to be successful
- Collect only aluminum beverage cans and bottles
- Rinse and dry cans
- BAG cans only in clear plastic bags that are labeled with your school name
- Involve your community in your school's collection efforts
- Call your contact person for help and ideas
What you SHOULDN'T do
- Include metal food cans or other types of metal
- Store un-rinsed cans- they can attract pests
- Use opaque bags
- Forget to label your bags with your school name