Part of our mission at the High Point Museum, a division of the High Point Public Library, is to strengthen the sense of community so by establishing a Little Free Library in our neighborhood it serves as another community outreach. The Little Red Schoolhouse served as our inspiration for the Free Little Library.
The Little Red Schoolhouse was designed by High Point architect Louis Voorhees in 1930 and served as a one-room public school for first graders between 1931 and 1961. It served as High Point’s first museum and was dedicated on December 20, 1964 and served as the museum until 1971 when the current museum was opened. The Little Red Schoolhouse was designated a Guilford County Historic Landmark August 8, 1988.