The Haley House is the earliest surviving documented structure on its original foundation in Guilford County, and it is significant as an example of early Piedmont architecture, a style known as the Quaker Plan. John Haley and his wife Phebe Wall Haley completed the house in 1786 – a stone medallion in the west gable indicates the year of completion and the Haleys’ initials. The house stood on the important Petersburg (Virginia)-Salisbury (North Carolina) Road and was one of roughly 20 landmarks noted in Guilford County on the earliest official survey map of North Carolina.
Restoration After continuous occupancy and a Williamsburg-style renovation in the 1940s, the house underwent a total restoration by knowledgeable and professional consultants with the intent that it be opened to the public as a historic house museum. Today, it provides a focal point for visitors to learn about High Point’s early history.
To learn more about the Haley House’s history, architecture and restoration, see a presentation by Forsyth Tech Community College student Allison Carithers.
Growth of Cities Since the Fayetteville and Western Plank Road was built in the early 1840s and the railroad was established in the 1850s, most of the 1740-1840 back-country history of Guilford County and this area of the Piedmont has been obliterated by the growth of cities like High Point. In addition to its architectural significance and its connections to early Quaker settlers, the 1786 Haley House – along with the Historical Park – represents both the beginnings of High Point and a lifestyle which is far-removed from the city’s current cultural landscape.