Transportation Planning Documents
The MPO is responsible for continuing, comprehensive and cooperative transportation planning in the Metropolitan Planning Area as required by Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century (MAP-21). To conduct this planning process, the HPMPO has created several documents aimed at both long and short term planning:
- Metropolitan Transportation Improvement Program (MTIP) - A prioritized listing/program of transportation projects covering a period of four years that is developed by an MPO as part of the metropolitan transportation planning process, consistent with the Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP), and required for projects to be eligible for funding under title 23 U.S.C. and title 49 U.S.C. Chapter 53.
- Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP) - The official multimodal transportation plan resulting from regional or statewide collaboration and consensus on a region’s or state’s transportation system, and serving as the defining vision for the region’s or state’s transportation systems and services. This is the official multimodal transportation plan addressing no less than a 20-year planning horizon that is developed, adopted, and updated by the MPO through the metropolitan transportation planning process. Formerly known as the Long Range Transportation Plan (LRTP).
- Project Prioritization Process (SPOT) - The primary input for the FY 2018-2027 Transportation Improvement Program (STIP), is a multi-modal process that evaluates highway, transit, bicycle, pedestrian, and rail project needs. The NCDOT and North Carolina legislature have required that all metropolitan and rural planning organizations develop a ranking process to evaluate all eligible project categories (highway, non-motorized, public transportation, aviation, rail and ferry). This process must be approved by the NCDOT to ensure compliance with the legislative intent of the mandate. The process will apply to all projects ranked by the MPO that fall in the "regional" and "division" levels.
- Public Involvement Plan - A plan that outlines steps MPO staff will take to involve the public in the planning process.
- Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP) - A statement of work identifying the planning priorities and activities to be carried out within a metropolitan planning area. At a minimum, a UPWP includes a description of of the planning work and resulting products, who will perform the work, time frames for completing the work, the cost of the work, and the source(s) of funds.