Loans & Renewals
- Most library items may be checked out for 21 days or three weeks and may be renewed up to 4 times.
- A few items such as new books, new audio books, and leased books are limited to 14 days or two weeks and may be renewed up to 4 times.
- DVDs are limited to 7 days or one week and may be renewed up to 4 times.
- TV Series, British Series, and Miniseries DVDs are limited to 14 days with no renewals.
When checking out materials, you will receive a list of items which shows the due date for each item. You may request to have your due slip emailed to you. You are responsible for all items checked out on your card until you return them. You can renew items in person at the library, online through the library website, or by calling the Customer Services Desk at 336-883-3660. You can also call our automated circulation system at 336-883-9317. Have your library card ready when you make the call.
You may check out up to 50 items (2 items if you are a new borrower.) You may, however, only have 10 music CDs and 10 DVDs out at any one time.
You may reserve materials while at the library from any public computer terminal or you may call General Research Services at 336-883-3641 or Readers' Services at 336-883-3638 and request staff assistance to hold or reserve materials.
- Up to 15 items may be on reserve.
- Reserves on available items take 24-72 hours to be filled.
- Our automated circulation system will call to tell you that your requested item is available and how long the item will be held for you. A notice will be mailed to you if we are unable to leave a message. You may request to be notified by email or text messaging.
- We hold items for 3 days.
- Items on hold may be picked up at the Lending Desk, Drive thru Window, Deep River Rec Center (Monday-Friday 5:00pm-8:00pm) or City Customer Service at Northpoint Avenue (Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm).
As a cardholder, you may use the Interlibrary Loan Service to borrow a book or microfilm from another library when the High Point Public Library does not own the requested item. This service takes between two to four weeks. Interlibrary Loan can also get a photocopy of an article from a magazine or other periodical that the library does not have. There is a fee for photocopies. To request this service, go to General Research Services on the second floor.